Life With No Walls
March brought the new school year for me and my middle school students. Busy month on the grind but it is such a better life when you are grinding out life you want versus waking up every morning dreading the day ahead. I am talking about two years ago at my corporate cubicle grind. Last year was probably the best year of my life but was just drifting and having fun. Was not inside a box progressing myself while inspiring others like I am now(at least I hope to be inspiring others).
MARCH GRIND GOALS
- Yoga – Took me until the 18th of March to actually get to a class. I guess 18 days is better than this.(picture of my journal) PASS
- Attended 5 classes
- Also did yoga a few times on my own
- Focus on breathe.
- Striving for perfection but accepting you won’t be able to stay there if you get there for even a split second.
- Extremely valuable learning as I knew it would be almost 3 years ago but never took action on.
- Stretching. 2 times a day. No tracking of this so who knows.
- Breathing – Focused breathing was a given during meditation so that was at least once a day right there. Then probably used my calm heartbeat app between 15-20 times throughout the month. Eh
- Focus on Student Development PASS
- So March was the start of the new school year and the “real” teaching began. Some of the material is a major BORE but it is extremely valuable to me. Finally am learning the words that my students know. Now I am saying things too easy versus too hard. Finding that zone where I am just out of each classes level where I am pushing them a little is where I need to be. Hopefully get there sooner rather than later.
- Lessons students like must be implemented. Transitioning slowly in that direction. Doing things for others has always been an issue with me. For instance, I would always try to box my interests/likes into ideas for presents for my family. I like it so why won’t they?!
- Goodbye Snapchat and Instagram….for now. PASS
- This “goal” was the most interesting to me. So much of my time on my phone or internet is wasted. However, look how we are communicating right now. My thoughts racing down to the keyboard through wires and computers and internet connection. Uploading my current thought to a space where it will be stamped forever. Unless I don’t pay my hosting fee at the end of the month.
- Once again the ultimate goal was mindfulness and awareness. I do not want to eliminate tools like Instagram and snapchat.
- Going forward I will experiment with ways to limit my mindless wandering down the black hole of social media. For the longest time I didn’t understand how these apps are valued at a ridiculous amount of money . Still don’t understand fully but then again I don’t understand why Superbowl ads cost millions either. I guess if you control the zombies you get the big monies.
The Yes Man Says NO!
Back in the review of my first month, December 2015, I came to Korea with the motivation to change my actions to include different experiences. However, there are 168 hours in a week and 96 of them are taken up by the work:sleep combo. Time is finite. Eventually I had to say no because the decision was made to do something else. Experiencing FOMO(whatever that is)? Not at all…yet.
Life here is unfolding just like it is meant to.
Double-talk –hypocrites — paradox
Now is a good of time as any to talk about what always baffled me. Left me powerless in an endless loop of inner thought for years. Double-talk, hypocrites, and paradoxes. So let me say we sll use double-talk, we are all hypocrites, and life is a paradox. Now I can say anything and everything with a clear pass. Said this before but will say it again, this blog talks about the future self I will become. There will be growing pains where I want to make a change in behavior but my actions will not match my words. My past self will take over. Eventually the new mental conditioning will win out. Maybe today. Maybe tomorrow. Until then…
Hypocrisy at that noble level.
So Much Different…So Much The Same?!
So much is different in Korea. Being stranded in a foreign city(Busan) and wander the streets in the pouring rain. Stumbled upon a jjimjilbang(Korean Sauna – link is another blogger who has great information about them if you do not know what they are all about). However, it was a Saturday night and I had no plans early next morning. So why not wander and enjoy a nice Korean sauna. Make a positive out of a perceived negative. Eating pigs trotters and this view while running is different than back home.
Jokbal – pig’s trotters
view from a run near my apartment
Yet so much is the same.
Joined a men’s league basketball team which will play one weekend a month. A half a world a way but am playing the same game that I have played all my life. Only thing that is different is my name. Now officially a Korean. Keepin up with the Kims.
A lot of my “free” time over the past few years has been spent reading and listening to “famous” or “successful” people. Most seem so casual in everything they say about their past. Didn’t want to work for X company so I quit and just built this. Didn’t want to live my life like that so I got on a plane and moved across the country.
I remember sitting in my cube and one of my co-workers heard about my last day. He asked how I could quit with the economy and what I was going to do. He let out a huge depressed sigh and said must be nice being able to just quit and not have to worry about a mortgage.
“The traffic signs of life are never all green at once.” – Tim Ferriss
Was it the perfect time to quit a respected position in corporate America? ABSOLUTELY NOT but who cares about a mortgage if you do not have your mental and physical health.
“People will choose unhappiness over uncertainty.” Tim Ferriss
Guess I am not most people.
Don’t have to try to be different here. Naturally just are. Feeling more comfortable with being different. Returning to my home country I will have the mental conditioning to keep the momentum rolling.
Let it go. Let it flow. Chipping more away of the Gold hidden inside of me. Let you in on a secret. It is inside every one of us but we have to unplug and take the time to discover it ourselves.
April Goal is to have no goals. Sort of. Just retooling a bit. Almost thought of not posting this month but decided to anyways.
April’s post will be the best one yet.
Let it go. Let it flow.
Books of the Month
- Investment Biker
- Super Genes(audio book)
- How Bad Do You Want It? (audio book)
Stumbled upon this clip of Conan in Korea. Tall goofy American just like me. I struggle to say Korean names like him. Funny seeing Kakao talked about too. Watch the clip here.